Translate

Sunday, March 30, 2014

What inspires you?

Sometimes inspiration comes from the oddest source.  I did restrain myself from taking a picture of the ceiling in the Denny's restaurant in Breezewood, PA on Saturday.

We were traveling to visit my in-laws.  Friday was their 50th wedding anniversary.  They thankfully did not want a big party, only to go out to a nice dinner.  What a wonderful milestone!  I probably should have made them a quilt.  Sometimes I am not very good at planning ahead.  That is another blog topic for another day.

Anyway, I digress.  Many things have inspired me during my travels across the 48 contiguous states.  Most of those pictures were lost when my computer crashed this fall.  Now I have to start taking inspiration pictures all over again.  I had a file for pattern and a separate file for color combinations.

My example today is a rug in a hallway at a hotel. (Panama City, Florida, I think.)

I know it is silly, but I really like the center medallion of this rug. Designs that are based on six have a special appeal to me.  I also developed a recent fondness for Dresden Plates.

This would make a fantastic applique. Shell  and flower motifs are complimentary designs.  Wispy tendril leaves and vines make a good combination, too.  I don't really like the colors shown here, but that can always be changed in fabric.  Mwhahaha!  I wish that I had discovered that applique is NOT scary before I started wearing bifocals.  I could have set the applique world on fire back when I could see better.  Humph!

What a great border!  I love this Grecian look...There may be one of these in a border book that I already own....hmmmm.

Here is the entire thing.  I think the parts are greater than the sum in this case.

Maybe next time I will take a picture of that ceiling!  (My husband just shakes his head when I start taking "weird" pictures.  He doesn't even ask anymore because he already knows the answer to his question....something to do with quilting.  I made him wait in the car for a few extra minutes after we checked out of the hotel just so I could  run back in to snap these pictures for future reference.)  

What inspires you?

Have a great week!
Later,
Lorrie

No comments:

Post a Comment