Translate

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Look What I found!

Remember the saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure"? 

Yesterday, on the way home from visiting family, we stopped at Hokie Gee's flea market in Everett, PA.  I needed some "dental" tools to use for sewing.  

These sharp little instruments are great for reaching threads in places where fingers just won't fit.  They set me back $1.49 each.  The tweezers are especially wicked.

I wish they still had the straight "picks".  I use one of those that I bought about five years ago...best stiletto ever.   That one cost a $1.00.

We decided to roam around for a few minutes.  We looked at furniture, etc.  I found a wool crazy quilt top in one of the stalls.  It is a good size quilt top.  I have not measured it yet. Looks like a small queen size...great for on the sofa while I am watching TV on a cold winter evening or better yet a snow day from school.

Merry Christmas to me!  It only cost $30.  I always feel sad to see things like this at flea markets.  Someone's Grandma or Auntie put a lot of work into this and no family member wanted it.


There were no markings to indicate the maker or origin.  It is on a cotton foundation.  Most of the patches are wool, so I know it will wear very well.  It has herring bone embroidery around all of the patches.  The stitches are nice and even.  The maker used a variety of colors for the embroidery.


I plan on using the big spaces to do practice machine embroidery before I finish it to be used.  The picture looks so much brighter color wise than the actual quilt.  The patches that are gray or tan in the photo are small plaid, like that found in wool women's suits and skirts.  Even that bright blue border is some kind of wool blend.

What treasure did you find in your life today?  Sometimes we all need to find joy in the littlest things in our lives....even if it is only a dental implement.

Time to go play with fabric and thread!

Have a great Sunday...find the time to find your inner peace away from the stress of the holidays.

Later,
Lorrie


No comments:

Post a Comment