Translate

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sewing room progress

Progress in any rearrange is always slow in my world.  I did take a cupboard off the wall for my dad.  In this picture it actually looks like an organized space, when in reality it was filled with stuff that was being completely ignored and unused.  The contents have been dispersed or donated.


Behind all of the clutter is a pegboard full of sewing and crafting supplies.  I need this in a more accessible area.  When I was cleaning off the pegboard yesterday, I found items that I must have stuffed there instead of putting them in their proper place.  I keep most things in clear labeled shoe boxes. This looks semi-disastrous, but in reality it is quite efficient for storing and getting to all sorts of things, like bias tape, fasteners, zippers, etc.  Everything has its own labeled box.  Even the label maker has its own box!


Now onto my biggest challenge:  Keeping a horizontal surface clean.  


Somewhere under there is a Juki sewing machine on a frame for "long arm" quilting.  This presents a double dilemma in my world.  If I have a quilt on it, the cats think it is a personal kitty hammock, or worse yet...a jungle gym.  I have tried covering my quilts in progress with crinkly plastic sheeting.  The cat thought she had a tent to hide in....a better vantage point for an attack.  I tried water bottle training.  That works most of the time... in other areas of the house.  The cat loved the quilt hammock so much that she was willing to be drenched to sneak back to her hammock!  She was so shiny, clean and soft....humph!  I also tried letting the tension loose on the quilt when I was not working on it...Kitty would jump on it, letting it settle on the flat surface of the table beneath before she started her nap!  I can't seem to win...the cat may have one the battle..or several, but the war is not over yet!

When I do have the table cleared off, I obviously can't resist the temptation to cover it with stuff.  I am going to have to gain some will power.  Anyone know of a store that sells THAT?

Don't get me wrong.  I am capable of maintaining a cleared off flat surface.  My cutting area is usually fairly clutter free.  (Yes... in my world this is clutter free!)

The items laying on it in this picture (except my coffee mug) are part of a current project, not what I would consider clutter.  My dad salvaged this from a school that was remodeling.  It is an old science room table.  I put wooden blocks under the legs to make it tall enough for me to stand at to cut and cut and cut some more.  Cutting blocks is one of my favorite quilting activities.

Enough about my problems and hang-ups for today.  Anyone else have these same challenges?  Or some will power for sale?

Have a great sewing day!

Later,
Lorrie



No comments:

Post a Comment